Connect with us

sports News

Tsitsipas ousts Nadal, seals final match against top-ranked Djokovic in Madrid Open

Tsitsipas ousts Nadal, seals final match against top-ranked Djokovic in Madrid Open MADRID: For the third straight time this season, Rafael Nadal won’t be fighting for a title on his favorite surface.Nadal’s slump on clay continued on Saturday at the Madrid Open with a third consecutive semifinal elimination, adding to his worst start to the…

Tsitsipas ousts Nadal, seals final match against top-ranked Djokovic in Madrid Open

Tsitsipas ousts Nadal, seals final match against top-ranked Djokovic in Madrid Open

MADRID: For the third straight time this season, Rafael Nadal won’t be fighting for a title on his favorite surface.Nadal’s slump on clay continued on Saturday at the Madrid Open with a third consecutive semifinal elimination, adding to his worst start to the clay-court swing since 2015.He lost to ninth-ranked Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas, who will try to win his third title of the year in a final against top-ranked Novak Djokovic, who defeated Dominic Thiem 7-6 (2), 7-6 (4) and will have a chance to tie Nadal for the most titles in Master 1000 tournaments with 33.In the women’s final, Kiki Bertens beat two-time Madrid champion Simona Halep 6-4, 6-4.“It wasn’t my best night,” Nadal said. “I knew what I had to do, it was clear to me, but I just wasn’t capable of doing it. I didn’t have a good feeling to do the things I wanted to do and that’s it. We don’t have to dwell too much on it.”The second-ranked Spaniard, still seeking his first title of the season, had also failed to make it to the final in Monte Carlo and Barcelona, tournaments he had won the last three consecutive seasons. He lost to Fabio Fognini in Monte Carlo and to Thiem in Barcelona. This is the first time since 2004 that Nadal had arrived in Madrid without a title.“I’ve won a lot over the years on this surface,” he said.” But this year it hasn’t been the case. I’ve been really close, but I haven’t been able to win.”Nadal, who was yet to lose a set in Madrid this year, had beaten Tsitsipas all three previous times they played, without losing a set, including in the semifinals of the Australian Open.The 20-year-old Tsitsipas converted on his fourth match point to close out the victory on the Magic Box center court.“I’m really happy that I managed to keep my nerves down and fight back. Probably one of the toughest victories I’ve had in my life,” Tsitsipas said. “Adding variety and being unpredictable was the key today.”The young Greek played aggressively from the start, breaking Nadal’s serve six times. He saved 11 of the 16 break opportunities he conceded.“I really liked my fighting spirit,” he said. “I went on the court and I was mentally prepared for a fight.”Tsitsipas will be playing in his fourth final of the season and will have a chance to become the first player to win three titles this year, adding to his triumphs in Estoril and Marseille. He is the tour’s winningest player in 2019 with 27 wins.“I have to be mentally prepared for a tough match,” said Tsitsipas, who defeated Djokovic in Toronto last year. “He’s in a pretty good state of his tennis, so it won’t be easy.”
Djokovic on topDjokovic can add to his Australian Open title on Sunday thanks to his confidence-boosting win over an in-form Thiem.“Dominic is one of the best tennis players in the world at this moment, especially on this surface, so this was a very big win for me,” Djokovic said.The fifth-seeded Thiem, who beat Roger Federer in the quarterfinals, had won two straight against Djokovic and was trying to make his third straight Madrid final following losses to Rafael Nadal in 2017 and Alexander Zverev in 2018. The Austrian was also attempting to become the first player to win three titles this season, adding to triumphs in Indian Wells and Barcelona.“I thought he was the favorite coming into this match because of his win in Barcelona and the way he played winning against Roger yesterday,” said Djokovic, who will be trying to add to his Madrid titles from 2011 and 2016.“I was still kind of trying to find my best game on clay,” Djokovic said. “These are exactly the matches that I need. I’m very, very pleased with this win.”Thiem played well in both sets but Djokovic prevailed in both tiebreakers.“I think that to beat these players, Novak, or Rafa, you need to have this little luck, this momentum going for you, and that was not the case today,” Thiem said. “Some break points for me were a little bit unlucky and some of them I missed, which I usually don’t do.”BERTENS WINSLast year’s runner-up Bertens defeated Halep for her second title of the year, adding to her victory in St. Petersburg, Russia.“I am really proud of this week. I played some good tennis,” said Bertens, who next week will reach a career-high No. 4 ranking.The seventh-ranked Dutch became the first woman to win the Madrid title without dropping a set. She had victories over three Grand Slam champions in the Spanish capital — Jelena Ostapenko, Sloane Stephens and Petra Kvitova. Bertens lost to Kvitova in last year’s final.Halep, winner in Madrid in 2016 and 2017, lost the chance to take over the No. 1 ranking from Naomi Osaka.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

sports News

Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch

Madison Keys, Daniil Medvedev get first titles in Cincinnati Keys beat Svetlana Kuznetsova for her second title of the season and easily the biggest of her career None of the Big Four — Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray — made it to the final Updated 19 August 2019 AP August 19,…

Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch

Madison Keys, Daniil Medvedev get first titles in Cincinnati

Keys beat Svetlana Kuznetsova for her second title of the season and easily the biggest of her career
None of the Big Four — Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray — made it to the final

Updated 19 August 2019

AP

August 19, 2019 01:48

MASON, Ohio: Two unexpected champions embraced their first Rookwood championship trophies, concluding a week that brought more questions than clarity to the upcoming US Open.Who’s going to be healthy on the women’s side? Will stumbles in the men’s bracket at the Western & Southern Open carry over to New York?And are Madison Keys and Daniil Medvedev capable of carrying their newfound momentum into a Grand Slam event? After winning the biggest tournament title of their careers, they were already getting asked about how it might transfer to the bigger stage.Keys rallied late in both sets and beat Svetlana Kuznetsova 7-5, 7-6 (5) Sunday for her second title of the season and easily the biggest of her career. After flameouts in her last three tournaments and a tough draw for the week, she couldn’t imagine the outcome.Back on the court to receive the trophy , she told the crowd: “If you told me this is where I would be a week ago, I would have laughed in your face!“Yet there she was, back in the Top 10 on a surprising upswing heading to New York.She’ll move up to the No. 10 ranking after a gritty showing that was typical of her week. She broke Kuznetsova to pull even in both sets at 5-5 and then pulled them out with a steady serve.Keys hadn’t made it past the second round in her last three tournaments, including Wimbledon. Now she’s got a good feeling with her favorite Grand Slam event at hand.“It’s definitely a great building block,” Keys said. “I want to do well in New York and have a good end to the season.”At 34, Kuznetsova was the oldest finalist in the Western & Southern Open’s history. She beat three top-10 players in a tournament — Sloane Stephens, Karolina Pliskova and Ashleigh Barty — for the first time in her 19-year career.The 153rd-ranked player got a late start on the season as she completed a seven-month recovery from a knee injury. In her ninth tournament of the season, she got her game together and got her best result in two years.“Honestly, I didn’t expect to be so good at this tournament,” she said.After what happened in Cincinnati during the week, nobody knows what to expect in the women’s bracket in New York.Serena Williams dropped out of Cincinnati because of back spasms that also forced her to withdraw from the final in Toronto. Naomi Osaka, the defending US Open champion, withdrew from her semifinal match on Friday with discomfort in her left knee that left her worried about her condition heading to New York.There’s some intrigue on the men’s side, too.The bracket in Cincinnati was billed as a reunion of the Big Four — Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray back together for the first time since January. None of them made it to the final.Nadal won the Rogers Cup last Sunday and withdrew from the Western & Southern, citing fatigue. Murray played singles for the first time since hip surgery in January and lost his opening match. Seven-time champion Federer was knocked out in the quarterfinals, and Djokovic lost to Medvedev in the semifinals with the crowd cheering him on.The Russian thanked the crowd for its support after beat David Goffin 7-6 (3), 6-4 for his first Masters 1000 title Sunday. It was his third straight final, but the first time he’d won. Medvedev lost to Nadal on Montreal a week earlier, then went on to reach his sixth final of this season, most on the ATP tour. He’s won twice.“To finally lift the trophy this week is an amazing feeling,” Medvedev said.At age 23, he became the youngest Cincinnati champion since Murray at age 21 in 2008.“Congratulations,” Goffin told him, “and I think you’re ready for New York.”

Continue Reading

sports News

Madison Keys, Daniil Medvedev get first titles in Cincinnati

Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch LONDON: Floyd Mayweather released a video on Sunday saying he was traveling to Saudi Arabia for talks on a rematch with Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao.Mayweather, the undefeated 50-0 fighter, beat Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in…

Madison Keys, Daniil Medvedev get first titles in Cincinnati

Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch

LONDON: Floyd Mayweather released a video on Sunday saying he was traveling to Saudi Arabia for talks on a rematch with Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao.Mayweather, the undefeated 50-0 fighter, beat Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2015 and it looks like the Kingdom could host the second bout between the two.

Undefeated, 50-0 boxing legend @FloydMayweather released a video on Sunday saying he was heading to #SaudiArabia for talks about a rematch with Filipino superstar @MannyPacquiaohttps://t.co/52EBxiUDsL pic.twitter.com/3yz9DQOFan
— Arab News (@arabnews) August 18, 2019

In the video, Mayweather said: “It’s an honor to come to Saudi Arabia to sit down with you guys to talk about the Mayweather vs Pacquiao rematch. Saudi Arabia — Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather — I’m on my way.”Mayweather’s last two fights saw him in a bout against MMA champion Conor McGregor in August 2017 and rookie Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year’s Eve, the latter not counting toward his professional record.There has been no official announcement from Saudi authorities.

 

Continue Reading

sports News

VAR denies Manchester City again in latest wild Premier League match with Tottenham

Pat Cummins double stuns England after Steve Smith makes brave 92 in second Test following injury LORD’S, London: Australia’s Steve Smith returned to make 92 after a sickening blow to the neck before England captain Joe Root fell for the first golden duck of his Test career as Pat Cummins took two wickets in two…

VAR denies Manchester City again in latest wild Premier League match with Tottenham

Pat Cummins double stuns England after Steve Smith makes brave 92 in second Test following injury

LORD’S, London: Australia’s Steve Smith returned to make 92 after a sickening blow to the neck before England captain Joe Root fell for the first golden duck of his Test career as Pat Cummins took two wickets in two balls on a dramatic fourth day of the second Ashes clash at Lord’s.England were 96-4 in their second innings — a lead of 104 runs — when rain forced an early close on Saturday.But with one day left, Australia know early wickets on Sunday could leave them in a position to press for a victory that would put them 2-0 up in a five-match series.England will now look to Ben Stokes, dropped twice on his way to 16 not out, and Jos Buttler (10 not out), to keep Australia at bay.Smith’s 92 was the centerpiece of Australia’s 250 all out in reply to England’s first innings 258.The star batsman had made 80 when he was felled by a bouncer from fast bowler Jofra Archer, making his Test debut, timed at 92.4 mph.The ball struck him on the side of the neck and head.Smith, fell face forward onto the ground. He was wearing a helmet without the additional neck protection that was introduced following the death of Phillip Hughes after his former Australia team-mate was hit by a bouncer in a 2014 domestic Sheffield Shield match in Sydney.“He doesn’t wear it because it is a personal choice,” Australia coach Justin Langer told Sky Sports after stumps.“We know it is available but he can’t feel comfortable with it on.”Smith, who had marked his comeback Test following a 12-month ball-tampering ban, with innings of 144 and 142 in Australia’s 251-run win in the series opener at Edgbaston, received several minutes of on-field treatment involving both teams’ medical staff.He got to his feet but eventually retired hurt, with Smith receiving a generous round of applause as he returned to the pavilion.“It was a terrible blow,” said Langer. “It looked horrible at the time.”This series has seen the introduction of concussion protocols that allow injured batsmen to be replaced by a substitute — previously restricted to fielding duty alone.But Langer insisted Smith’s health had not been put at undue risk by letting him resume his innings as soon as possible when Peter Siddle’s exit left Australia 218-7 after a break of 46 minutes.“We were, absolutely (happy for Smith to bat again). He went through the concussion testing,” said Langer, himself hit on the head several times during his career as an Australia opening batsman.“We wouldn’t let him go out unless we were confident he could do the job.”Archer had previously struck Smith, then on 70, on his unprotected forearm with another bouncer in a fiery eight-over spell.And it was that injury, not the blow to the neck, which Australia said prevented Smith from fielding on Saturday, although a team spokesman said later that hospital X-rays had revealed no fracture.From the second and third balls he faced on his return, Smith hit two fours off paceman Chris Woakes.But on 92, facing his ninth ball, Smith shouldered arms to a Woakes nip-back delivery and was plumb lbw to leave Australia 234-8.Smith reviewed almost as an after-thought before replays confirmed the end of a 161-ball innings that included 14 fours.Stuart Broad took 4-65 in 27.3 overs and Woakes 3-61 in 19 while Archer finished with figures of 2-59 in 29.“That was serious, serious pace,” said Woakes of Archer. “I was at fine leg and could still tell.“It is never nice to see anyone get hit. Thankfully it looks like Steve is OK.“He is a great player and it took something special from Jofra to get him out of his bubble.”England then suffered an a familiar collapse, Jason Roy, caught and bowled by Cummins (2-16) off a leading edge.Next ball, 9-1 became 9-2 with Root caught behind off a superb delivery.Joe Denly survived the hat-trick before being caught and bowled by Siddle (2-19), who also removed Rory Burns.

Continue Reading